Stories Beyond the Mist

blog ramble brightened 6x4

A Collection of Foggy Day Rambles

Whispers from the Past

Over two hundred years ago you would have heard the voices of young John, Daniel or Maggie Servos as they played along the banks searching for crayfish or swinging buckets to be filled for laundry or bath day. The spring fed creek would have been a child’s delight, it’s ripples shallow enough to explore unsupervised. The remnants of a deep well which provided the family with an unlimited supply of fresh water can still be found halfway between the house site and the stream.

 The original mill location is situated at the top of the row of grape posts, the homestead site on the rise to the left.

In the 1800’s there could be heard the sounds of men shouting over the creaking and groaning of the mill wheel, busy about the work on the bustling farm and field. By 1799 there were over 150 customers bartering for their services at the mill. A steady stream of horses and wagons unloaded furs and timber onto the wharf at the mouth of the Four Mile Creek. After squaring up accounts at the Imperial government store they would load up grain, oil, flour and necessities to be delivered as far as Shipman’s Corners in St.Catharines.

The bleating of sheep completed the pastoral setting as they grazed in the verdant rich pasture below the mill race in the valley.

The bleating of sheep completed the pastoral setting as they grazed in the verdant rich pasture below the mill race in the valley.

The potashery and tannery were also located about 30 meters downstream, relying on the water source for cleaning hides and preparing the lye for soap making. Halfway between the house and stream a deep well provided the family with an unlimited supply of fresh water.

1862 sketch of Palatine Hill

The bleating of sheep completed the pastoral setting as they grazed in the verdant rich pasture below the mill race in the valley.